The history of Balzers is fundamentally identical to that of the country Liechtenstein. From the excavated culture articles within the village, there is proof of settlement continuity from the early Stone Age (about 3000 B.C.), up to the modern day.
The archaeological finds of 1934 at the south foot of the Gutenberg castle hill provided the most southerly discovery of the "Rössener culture." Early and the late Bronze Age remains have also been found around Gutenberg. The bronze figures excavated at the foot of the hill are, however, of most historical significance (Mars of Gutenberg, Eber, deer, fertility figures). In the northern part of the village one archaeologists found the foundations of Roman buildings in 1933 and 1967, in addition to the finds at Gutenberg.
Sixty Roman coins (from 46-42 BC) point to Roman rule of Balzers, which highlights the history of the twin villages of Balzers and Mäls, about which the Rätische Mäls is the older part. While "Meilis," as Mäls is called in the Rätic language, could not be interpreted etymologically so far, although the name Balzers (Palazoles) can be linked with the Latin "palatium" (Lordship, Pfalz).
Since subjecting Rätians (15 BC) to the "Imperium Romanum" the pro and cons of a "village on the Knights road" have shaped the Balzner history, since the road led across the alpine Julier and Spluegen passes along the mountain-slope through the village.
Balzers experienced rapid development in the last few years. Whilst it only has 4,368 inhabitants the village saw rapid industrialisation. The municipality Balzers is the southernmost municipality Principality of Liechtenstein and is appropriate for 472m above sea level, with a surface area of 19.6 square km.
With its important and interesting historical past, the municipality has felt obliged to carry continue to care for its environment. This is represented by developing the infrastructure on a needs basis as it is required. Each inhabitant is thereby ensured a healthy life in a beautiful environment.
The coat of arms of the municipality Balzers originates from the barons von Frauenberg. They were Knights of the castle of Gutenberg around 1300 A.D. In particular is the Minnesaenger Heinrich von Frauenberg is mentioned. The line is documented from 1257 to 1336. The coat of arms shows an upright golden griffin in the blue field, with red tongue and beak.
The designation "Balzner" comes from the Southeast of the village part, known as the "Wingerta" which sells the wine directly, and wines such as "Schloss Gutenberg", the Mälsner wine, is cultivated at the foot of Gutenberg (a Blaue Burgunder grape).
For more information about Balzers, please select one of the following: