History of Schaan, Liechtenstein
Schaan is one of the oldest settlements in the country. It grew out of the old Roman village centre of St. Peter and the Alemannic village centre of St. Laurentius. Schaan was first documented in the imperial register (around 850).
Schaan is the largest village in terms of population, is now the industrial and business centre of the country. Schaan is also home to the most significant cultural centre in the region, namely the Theater am Kirchplatz (TaK). Thanks to the sports facilities by the Rhine and in Dux, as well as the Resch leisure centre, Schaan offers diverse opportunities for hobby, sports, and recreation. Schaan is the epicentre of the annual Fasnacht season.
In 15 BC the region was conquered by the Romans, leading to the building of a castle or fort in Schaan. This was to secure the Roman road that led through the country, against the Alemannic savages. The church of St Peter now lies on top of the site of the castle.
The village of Schaan lies at both the heart of Liechtenstein and the heart of Europe in the Rhine Valley, as shown by the fact that it is a major transport hub and pivot-point of the country, with a large leisure and sport offering, all in the midst of a peaceful natural landscape. Schaan covers an area of approx. 27 square km, including areas in the mountains.
The centre of Schaan lies at 460 m above sea level, measured at the base of the parish church, with a lowest point of 440m, and the highest point 2570m in the alps.
The coat of arms were granted on the 12th June 1938. The colours blue and red are the Liechtenstein national colours, and the ear of wheat in the blue field symbolises farming, while the wavy white band on the red field represents the river Rhine.
For more information about Schaan, please select one of the following: